Think your Life from its End
Most of us struggle to achieve the goals we set for ourselves – at least I do. We have many wishes, many goals. Things we want to do, stuff we want to learn, money we want to possess. Moreover, often enough, we fail to achieve those goals. One of many reasons, and in my opinion the most important one, is that we waste time.
We were taught all our lifetime, to think about the future, about what will come, the risks and problems that might occur, but we think about the beautiful things there might be to come. However, therein lies the question itself: by overthinking about our future, about the person we want to become, we stop focusing on the person we are. We stop living in that exact moment; we are living right now and using exactly those experiences, moods and feelings, to develop ourselves further.
That sounds terribly plain and simple. We do not learn in school, to think of our life from its end. We should do that. We should take some time, think about ourselves and how we want to see ourselves being 80 years old.
How do we look like 40, 50, 60 years from now? Are we married? Do we live in a big house, having children and grandchildren? Do we own millions of Dollars, a Yacht or a Porsche? On the other hand, do we realize, by thinking about those things, that actually, those things are not the important ones? That those things are the nice to have ones. Nevertheless, those things are not the one, we would burn ourselves in passion for achieving them.
Figure Out Your Own Vision
You need to figure out that one thing, for which you would give anything. Therefore, it is essential to be honest with yourself and set this specific goal of yours. Not a goal set by society or peer pressure by friends and parents. You need to have a vision, set it and then imagine yourself fulfilling that vision.
The realization of that vision needs strength of mind, energy, focus, and will. But no self-sacrifice and too many thoughts about failure. It is not the thinking about tomorrow, the problems to come, that keep us going. Those are the things killing our drive and motivation. It is our visions and goals, that keep us burning, keep us alive and moving.
So please, stay a dreamer, fulfill yourself and just yourself by keep on working for that dream. This sounds impossible, you will not know, once you did not try working for it. Take the
motivation for your path by living in the moment enjoying it.
Because yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called present.
Now, for all the plain pragmatics out there – I will give some advice by hand for daily life:
- Reduce social noise. Waste less of your precious, limited lifetime, by binging social media. How often have you caught yourself, scrolling down the newsfeed but not actually caring?
- Make an appointment with yourself. Set one day or evening per week, where you do one thing, you „always wanted to do“ and ignore any other stuff during that time. Giving an example, I do have my Thursday evening for watching a movie, taking a bath, reading a book, making music. However, the very moment I do that, I put my phone and notebook away. Therefore, I do only that, and nothing else. Afterward, the echo of these activities is even brighter, than just doing everything just half/half.
- Do not be too harsh to yourself. If you are failing again with your daily goals, do not be your hardest critic. You will be only disappointed by yourself, which will kill your motivation to go on. Be gentle and allow yourself failure, laziness, and distraction by time.
- Nobody ever climbed Mt. Everest in one step. So you do not have to fulfill your vision in one step. There are multiple steps. In the beginning, the way might seem so long, so hard. Have you ever made a long journey? Experienced a lot of pain? Some time from that, it looks less hard, less long, less painful, than you experienced it in that very moment.
- Keep your goal in mind & don't waste time. Recalling your vision every now and then reminds us of where we want to be. E.g., if your idea is a large real estate, as seen in a particular TV show, print that and put it somewhere at your wall or closet, to see it sometimes.
- Just do it. That sounds the most stupid at all, but the hardest to fulfill. However, really, ask yourself. Are the reasons I find myself, why I cannot do this right now, just an excuse and in reality, it is my laziness talking? Or my fear of failure yelling at me? If you do not want to, you will always find a reason, why you cannot do it. So if you want it, do it!
- Have a vision! And achieve that vision with mindfulness and respect to yourself. But start having visions again.
Always keep in mind, you are not your own enemy but your friend, companion and person you have to grow old with.